We are excited to announce that advent is just a few weeks away. As Jen shared with us on Sunday, celebrating advent is important! It is not only a time to look back at the first coming of Christ but also to look to the future when Christ will come again.
This year, Real Church is celebrating advent by building a garland of the names of Jesus!
Beginning Sunday, Nov. 27, we will learn a new name of Jesus and enjoy a short advent reading each day. Once completed, you can link the paper chains together using tape or staples to create a decorative garland in your home. All of these materials can be found in your Advent Kit.
This is meant to be a time set apart from the busy holiday season for those of all ages to learn and reflect who Jesus is and prepare your hearts for Christmas morning!
You can begin to pick up the material needed to create your Advent Garland beginning this Sunday, Nov. 20 or there will be a digital copy available at the end of the month for you to download and print at home. Check the Advent Page for more information on downloading the kit. Please email Melissa@realchicago.com if you have not already signed up to receive an Advent Kit.
Here are some easy examples of ways you can include advent into your holiday schedule:
- Read the name of Jesus before dinner and then discuss during meal time
- Read the name of Jesus on the train ride to work and hang your garland in your office
- Read the name of Jesus with your children when they get home from school and allow them to decorate the chain
- Read the name of Jesus early in the morning with a warm beverage before you start your day
- Read the name of Jesus during the day and allow your child(ren) to act it out or come up with a movement for what they have learned
There are so many ways to include this in your daily schedule; however, it is important, no matter if you are single or part of a large family, to make it a routine. We have included a list of creative ways to encourage involvement of toddlers, children, youth, young adults, and older in the Advent Kit. I would be sure to check it out.